Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 23, 2013

So, I have this neighbor, who we'll call.....Asshat.
or Ass for short.
(we've had a few issues with them in the past, can you tell?)

This week I decided to Do some gardening in our side yard, under the desk.
The deck is about 12' high, this isn't some sort of hobbit thing... and I have a bit of an aversion to sunlight, so It's a somewhat ideal gardening spot for me.
You know what?

I'll attach a picture to make this more easy to understand.



and another 




There.
Ok, so I cleared out the dead growth, and power washed the moss off the concrete deck.
I got a bird feeder and a bird bath. I planted wildflowers in the new beds(it's a bee friendly mix), and I created a sort of simple rain irrigation thingy.

Why am I doing this?
Because I want my son's life to be filed with the songs of birds.
Pretty corny, I know.

Here's where the story takes the turn for the less idyllic:
See that chain link fence?
On the other side of that fence dwells the Ass.
On the other side of that fence is a pile of debris and rotting food and dogshit.
It's grown over a bit with weeds, so from the street it's not as apparent just how fucking disgusting it really is.

And to be honest, I wouldn't give a shit really.
Except for one small thing.
or rather, a whole shiitload of really smal things.

I noticed after a bird had visited the new feeder another guest came running over from the other side of the fence...
a rat.
In daylight.

So I went out and I cut away the brush that was on my side of the fence, to remove the cover that they travelled under.
Nope, didn't stop them from coming back, even though they had to go across open spaces in broad daylight. (or those of you that don't know, rats are mostly nocturnal, if you see them feeding in daylight it's usually a low ranked member of the colony(yep, that means there's a large rat colony nesting in their yard/trash heap))

I went out and cut back further, and I saw the point where they are burrowing into Ass's yard.
So now I have to decide what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Depending on where you live you could file a complaint with the code enforcement officer. In some counties that's a separate position, in others it's covered by the local police. If not them, then you could try Vector Control. If all else fails you could get some first bite (I think that's the name) rat poison. It'll only effect the rat and not anything that eats the poisoned rat.

    ReplyDelete