Total Pageviews

Friday, December 2, 2011

The thing is...

, and I forget this a lot, you should always look for the simplest explanation or method first.
Working on Berninas is a perfect reminder of this.
The newer models are still sort of a pain in the butt to work on, if you're used to vintage machines, but at least everything makes sense.
For example, the needle seemed to be getting too close to the needle plate after my breaking a bajillion needles sewing through way too much fabric. So, I thought the needle bar must have somehow been knocked out of position and I would need to disassemble the entire machine in order to put it right.
One look in the service manual told me the rest of the story:
When the needle bent and struck the needle plate, it jarred loose the tiny bolt above the bobbin hook and allowed the needle plate to drift slightly. A gentle tap, and a twist of my multi-tool, et voila!
No major surgery required!
I love quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment