Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 6, 2011

You never get a second chance

to make a first impression, but luckily sometimes people spend the time to really get to know something before judging.
Now, I have an automatic twinge when it comes to plastic machines...and this baby is no exception.
The body is metal, with a plastic backing and lots of little fiddly plastic bits.

Also, yeah I'll admit it. I have a bias against machines made in SE Asia. mostly because the workers there get paid peanuts, while the machines still cost a tonne of money...
So, if I were going to go by those things alone... I'd have to say this is a terrible terrible machine.

BUT, I'm not going to say that.

I expected to hate this machine, honestly.
I thought I would hate the noise it would make.
Basically, I thought it would sound and feel like a crappy little plastic machine.
It doesn't.
The stitch width/length controls are easy to use, as they are a direct descendant of the Record series.

The stitch pattern selector, and all the other functions are similar to the old fashioned ones.

The feel is soooo close to one of  my vintage machines, it's not quite the same, there is a slightly less smooth feeling to this machine, but it is close. The stitch quality is definitely Bernina.
(if you don't know what that means, I'm actually somewhat jealous of you)

Another nice thing about this machine, it uses the old style mounting system, with a twist:
The machine comes with a snap-on adapter.
:)

All in all...this is not a bad machine. It's much better than 99% of the modern machines I've used.
I used it to repair a denim dress, and it sewed over a very thick seam with no hesitation whatsoever
so, there you go! 
I'd use a vintage machine over this one, but it's definitely not crappy!





No comments:

Post a Comment